In 2017, to be honest I didn't have any solid goals - I was a Sydney-based Illustrator doing well starting out in an industry I was fairly unfamiliar with, and working with clients I always thought were out of reach. But you can only cruise for so long before things dry up and you actually have to start doing proper WORK...
It took me longer than it should have to realise I needed to go out and actively pursue clients rather than wait for them to come to me. I'm not naturally "business-minded" so I genuinely find this part tricky, as well as selling myself. It's a constant learning curve.
So keeping in mind at some point, a baby will come into our lives, these are my 2018 goals:
- Be forgiving - towards myself, my body, my business and others - a baby will disrupt our lives, but in the most fantastic and joyful, poopy and vomitty way.
- Spend time with family & friends - there is nothing else more important.
- Focus on what kind of Illustrator to be - this has been on the "to figure out" list since I started, and it always evolves. Currently, I'm very happy with the title "Style Illustrator" Husskie gave me! And as part of this goal, find clients who'll help me be the type of illustrator I want to be, and to perfect the right pitch.
- Passive income - this is an important one while I take some maternity leave.
- Accept help - for: BABY. BUSINESS. SANITY.
- Be published again in relevant media, to the right audience!
I also did a super helpful free webinar by Melyssa Griffin on how to set Goals for 2018 - breaking each goal down into achievable bite-sized tasks.
What are you hoping to achieve next year? Or what would you like to see from me?
ps. New Year phone wallpaper coming out tomorrow!